The CrossFit Open, that annual opportunity to benchmark your fitness against the entire world, is nearly upon us. If you haven’t signed up, check here for more information on how to do so.
If you ARE signed up (or even if you’re not), it’s time to get ready for Friday Night Lights!
The CrossFit Open runs for 5 weeks from Feb 25 through Mar 24. The workouts are announced each week on Thursday at 6pm, and athletes have until Monday at 6pm to submit their scores. CrossFit Beat will be running the Open workouts in our regular group classes all day Friday, however…
FRIDAY NIGHT WILL BE THE MAIN EVENT!
Come join us at 5:30pm for the Open workout, cheering on your fellow Beatboxxers, fun and friends, and drinks afterward (that’s right – beer!).
Here are the details:
- The 4:15pm workout will be CANCELLED on Fridays from Feb 26 through Mar 25.
- 5:30pm: Athlete Brief. Discuss the workout, scaling options, strategies, and judging standards (see below for more on this).
- 5:45pm: Group Warmup. We’ll have a warmup tailored to the Open workout. Feel free to come early to mobilize and warmup how you need.
- 6:10pm: First Heat. Depending on the number of people and equipment requirements, we may only need two heats.
- ~6:30pm – 8:00pm: Celebrate your participation in the Open with friends. CrossFit Beat will supply beer from a different local brewery each week!
Since this is an official competition, your movements will need to be judged. We will handle this by pairing people up during the Athlete Brief, and this pair will judge each other. One athlete will do the workout in Heat 1 while the other judges; then they’ll switch for Heat 2. We will cover the judging standards (things like squat depth, full extension at the top of the rep, etc) during the Athlete Brief.
Family and friends are encouraged to come check it out, but only CrossFit Beat athletes will be allowed in the main gym space between 5:30pm and the end of the heats.
If you’ve never done the Open before, you’re in a for a super fun time. The energy and competition atmosphere (even if only against yourself!) often lead people to things they’ve never done before. I can’t wait to get started!