The CrossFit Open, that annual opportunity to benchmark your fitness against the entire world, is nearly upon us. You can register online on your own, or do it here before or after class!
What is The CrossFit Games Open?
The CrossFit Open is a global competition that kicks off the search for the Fittest Man/Woman on Earth. It is open to anyone willing to participate. Starting on Feb 23, a new workout will be announced by CrossFit HQ each Thursday for the next five weeks. Participants have until the following Monday at 6 p.m. (MST) to submit their results.
At CrossFit Beat, we’ll be running the Open workouts on Saturday mornings from Feb 25 through Mar 25. The Open offers both “RX” and “Scaled” divisions and, as always, we’ll make sure everyone has a version of the workout appropriate for them.
Why should I participate?
#1 – It’s fun! The CrossFit Open is electric, and there’s nothing like being surrounded and cheered on by your fellow Beatboxxers!
#2 – The Open provides an opportunity for you to benchmark your fitness in 2017 against the REST OF THE WORLD. That’s right – when you submit your workout results online, you can rank yourself on the leaderboard by division, age bracket, city, state, country, and worldwide!
#3 – The Open workouts provide a new level of challenge. Break out of your comfort zone, and you just might accomplish something you didn’t think was possible.
How do I participate?
Fee: $20. Be sure to select CrossFit Beat as your home gym!
- The Open workouts will take the place of the Saturday 9:00am class from Feb 25 to Mar 25.
- 9:00am: Athlete Brief. Discuss the workout, scaling options, strategies, and judging standards (see below for more on this).
- 9:15am: Group Warmup. We’ll have a warmup tailored to the Open workout. Feel free to come early to mobilize and warmup how you need.
- 9:40am: First Heat. Depending on the number of people and equipment requirements, we may only need two heats.
- ~10:30am – 12:00pm: Hang out after the workout to celebrate your participation in the Open with some friends. CrossFit Beat will supply beer from a different local brewery each week!
Since this is an official competition, your movements will need to be judged. We will handle this by pairing people up during the Athlete Brief, and this pair will judge each other. One athlete will do the workout in Heat 1 while the other judges; then they’ll switch for Heat 2. We will cover the judging standards (things like squat depth, full extension at the top of the rep, etc) during the Athlete Brief.
Family and friends are encouraged to come check it out, but only CrossFit Beat athletes will be allowed in the main gym space between 5:30pm and the end of the heats.
If you’ve never done the Open before, you’re in a for a super fun time. The energy and competition atmosphere (even if only against yourself!) often lead people to things they’ve never done before. I can’t wait to get started!